Happy Holidays!

1/20/09

Creative Space Organization: Paper

Here is a master list to all my articles of this series.
____________________________________________________

Edited 2/1/09

Amie is my winner for this challenge

Postby Amie » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:51 pm

OK, I took half of it apart and redid it and I like it much better now.

1st, Part 1: here is how I have my patterned paper stored. No joke. This is it. About 30 sheets, if that.

Image

Part 2: I picked one of my patterned papers (with my eyes closed) and paired it with a piece of cardstock and another piece of patterned paper. I have pics below--I took some closer up ones because I wanted you to see the detail of my greenish PP I chose--it doesn't show up well in pics but it looks very cool in person. It has a little bit of orangey-red in it too.

Image

Image

Image

and here's my layout:

Image

I had Cameron sign it for me. =)

Image

Image
____________________________________________________
Part 1: the organization
You'll need to set aside a few hours to this stage, but it is well worth it in the end.

Paper storage is one of the most asked questions on any scrapbooking message board. Image

How to organize it

Really there are so many methods or sorting your paper, not one is the correct way, it actually depends on personal use.

Here are some ideas for paper categories:

* Cardstock by color
* Patterns by Color
* Patterns by Theme
* Patterns by Manufacturer

In my scrap room, all papers (cardstock, patterned, specialty - manufacturers (e.g. KI Memories, Jenni Bowlin, October Afternoon) are stored together & divided by line for ease in mixing/matching & reordering! Other patterned papers are organized by theme (e.g. school-inspired) or pattern (e.g. stripes, dots, solids). Cardstock is sorted by color again for ease in mixing/matching.

If you sort by color the R.O.Y. G. B.I.V. method (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet) is pretty popular.

It's a good idea to have vellum and die cut papers in their own category. I call mine 'decorative papers' that way I will better protect the delicate edges from curling and can find that special paper.

What to store your paper in:

If you can, keep the paper furthest from a window. This way the sun is less likely to fade the vibrant colors.

It would be great if you could afford these, but if you can't don't fret.
Used Priority boxes, heavy sturdy cereal boxes (for 8 1/2 x 11) and Nabisco Cracker boxes (for 12x12) from Costco can be beautifully decorated into the perfect paper storage. Here is a tutorial on how to cut the box.
http://www.marthastewart.com/article/ce ... 370a0aRCRD
Another one here on how to cover it with fabric.
http://thechiclife.typepad.com/the_chic ... older.html

Time and time again I hear scrappers recommend the Cropper Hopper vertical storage line. I especially like these... Cropper Hopper
Be sure to check out my challenge o win some of these great holders.

Iris Carts are an ideal way to store paper lines with all their yummy coordinating embellishments as well.

...and how cool is this idea? Even if you don't have a closet, you could set something like it up using a dowel rod hanging from the ceiling.
Image

Hanging vertical file folders also makes it easy to sort what you need. Even better, you can make it mobile with this screaming deal. This one s a bit pricier but it stores a lot and it can move around as well. Here is a wonderful tut on how to make your own 12 x 12 size hanging folders using legal size. http://organizedscrapbooks.com/make-it- ... -cardstock

I wanted a more substantial fixture, so I used paper shelves that I was able to purchase from a scrap store going out of business. Michael's is also a great place to find modular storage at a great price, especially with the coupon. If you get really desperate, try a dresser. I bet you can find one with shelves deep enough to accommodate even your 12 x 12 paper. Then make your own dividers for each category with the chipboard that comes in your online scrap purchases. This can be a truly unique and charming addition to your scrap room.

Other Ideas on what to store it in:

* Wire Cubes
* Paper Trays
* Paper Envelopes or Paper Organizers
* Bookcases with adjustable shelves

If it has shelves or drawers, think storage possibilities!

Need an idea on how to store your paper scraps?
Check out how this scrapper stores hers. http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/200 ... riday.html

Always think on this, you don't need a large room. Actually it's better to have a smaller space, so you aren't overcrowded with supplies you'll never get to use. Purge that paper from three years ago you haven't used if you need to make space.

Part 2: the challenge

Show me how you organize your scrap paper by adding it to the gallery and link it here.

Next, go sit in front of your paper storage area, close your eyes, and randomly pick out a sheet of pattern paper. Then pick at least two more papers to go with it, one pattern and one cardstock. Now, pic out photos that you think will go with the paper. If nothing you have seems to really go, then use black and white photos.

Image

I have a great prize for this challenge....I have several CH vertical storage holders to give away. They are not new, they were used in my previous scrap space and now that I have the KT paper shelves, I no longer need them, but they are in great condition. So each participant will be entered into a drawing for these. You must have your links posted here no later than January 31st to qualify for the prize.

Now inspire me!

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Happy Holidays!