Happy Holidays!

1/15/09

My Daughter's Room

This has been a work in progress, but finally we can see the light. There are a few details left to complete, but for the most part it's done.

My daughter is just loving her new room. It's her final ascent from a young girl to a full fledged teen. She picked the color, I picked the tone. It was a perfect compromise for each of us. This way I kept the room from looking like a giant grape exploded.

Jewelry Frame


Just like her momma, my daughter loves jewelry. So I made her this glamorous looking jewelry holder. Again, I try to make everything work double duty, function and style.

This is how to do it: supplies, decorative frame, paint, heavy floral wire (wire hanger would work too), decorative trim, heavy duty glue (I use construction glue for most of my wood projects.)

I used a freecycled frame. The more detail on the frame, the better. It doesn't show well in this pic but looks great irl. Then I painted it black to match her color scheme. White is an even better color to paint old frames because all the carved details show up so well.

I drilled in tiny hols on the right and left side of the frame to hold the wire in. I added a bit of construction glue to make sure it holds. Don't use hot glue because it will just crack with the weight of it and fall.

Finally I adhered the decorative trim to hide the wire. I used a bit of bridal lace from her flower girl dress from my wedding.

All you have left to do is hang the earings on. The lace is perfect because you can pierce the posts in as well when you don't have leaver back.

You could even go a step further and add decorative hooks at the bottom to hold bracelets and necklaces.

Dd already has one of those formal gowned gals that has arms that hold jewelery, so I didn't need to add any. Also, if you have a ton of jewelry, you can just use a larger frame or add more frames, it's up to you where you want to go with this.




Vanity area

I got really tired of dd getting the bathroom all dirty with makeup, so I decided to add a vanity table for her to keep all her stuff put away in her room, away from visiting guests.

I found the mirror at Kirklands for $10. It had a corner that was chipped, just the frame, so I jumped on the reduced price. Easy fix with paint.

For the table top I used a table insert. You know the piece that makes your dining room table larger? This was from an old table that was freecycled to me of course.

Then I added one of my old craft cart storage containers underneath to store all her hair and make up stuff.

What isn't done: I still need to make a skirt that goes around the table top so it hides the stuff underneath and gives the room a more finished feel.




Bed

The top crown was made from three cardboard garbage bins that I got on sale a couple of years ago at Target for $2 that I hadn't used yet. I put three of them together with duct tape and covered with fabric from an extra pillow case from her bedding set. Then I added decorative wood pieces at the bottom and finally attached with a staple gun, the silver fabric, which was extra from her bed skirt.

What isn't done: I have sheer panels to hang from the crown on the right and left side so that they will swag gently and give her that extra feminine glamour touch.



What I used to make the top crown.



The picture board is an old canvas painting that I stapled a decorative fabric to so she could use that as her picture board. I love it because then I don't see posters all over the room, she has a place to put them. This also acts as her head board.

The bedding came from Kohl's and the long body pillow from Costco.


So this is what I have left to do in her room: finish window curtains and cornice, add a table skirt to her vanity table and add the sheer panels that'll swag from the crown.

Once that's done, I'll post updated pics.

Now on to the boys room. Where to start and such a small space. Sigh...

2 comments:

Scrapenabler said...

The room looks great! You did a wonderful job.

Liz said...

It's a Princess Haven.. You are so talented with turning things into something.

 

blogger templates | Happy Holidays!